Text Size
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The IMPBA Secretary

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #682

The Secretary

It has come to my attention that the plan is to appoint the present PRESIDENT'S wife as SECRETARY replacing John Equi. This is bad for IMPBA and not in the best interest of IMPBA or its members.

The SECRETARY must be independent of any member of the board as John Equi was in order to have check and balances in the management of the organization. Also it will be difficult for any subsequent PRESIDENT to deal and function with a SECRETARY of the immediate proceeding President. Even though arrangements are made for signing checks that does not protect the organization as to what and how much money should be spent. John ran the IMPBA office as frugally as possible. This is at risk with the present plans for secretary.

Performance milestones were given to John to meet when he started as SECRETARY. Can performance requirements be given to the wife of the PRESIDENT and expect them to be achieved? If the wife of the PRESIDENT does not achieve them, how can it be dealt with? Could a spouse of the President or Board member truly be terminated if their performance was not acceptable? Would a President remove his or her own spouse or a board member's spouse as Secretary for poor performance as required by the present Constitution/Bylaw?

Do we need NEPITISM in IMPBA? Can't we do better in our governance and management?

The bottom line it is just BAB. BAD for IMPBA and BAD way to do business!

Therefore we are proposing revision to our constitution and bylaws to prevent any spouse or family member of any voting or non-voting member of the board being employed as SECRETARY of IMPBA.

PRESENT CONSTITUTION: Article V OFFICERS & EXECUTIVE BOARD SECTION 5: An Executive Secretary shall be appointed or dismissed by the President with approval of the Executive Board.

CHANGE TO read: Article V, A Officers and Executive Board Section 5 An Executive Secretary who is not a spouse or family member of a voting or non voting member of the Board shall be appointed or dismissed by the President with approval of the Executive Board.

This is a Petition to indicate whether you support the proposal or not and send back/e-mail your response, name and IMPBA #

YES: Name and IMPBA Number

NO: Name and IMPBA number

If you have any more thoughts or opinions on this subject please include them also.

Thanks for you’re input and interest: Please send your response to my e-mail address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dr Gary Turner IMPBA #6322

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

"DOC"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #683

• Luc White
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
No need to send anything on this mater since it is not an official proposal

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #684

Luc White wrote:
No need to send anything on this mater since it is not an official proposal

Mr. White,
We have never said that this is a proposal. I think you may need to read the petition. This is a petition to gain support for a new proposal. That is all. I very much know how the rules work and are going to be doing this by the rules. Dr Gary Turner and I have over 35 years each in the IMPBA and have both served on the board. We have wrote many rules and proposals over the years. This is in no way to change what our president has done because he is our president of IMPBA and it is in the rules to be this way, but I will say that it is bad business. We are just trying to perserve the future of IMPBA.

Mark
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Mark Bullard. Reason: correction

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #685

• Doug Smock
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mark,Doc,
While I understand and appreciate your concern it is also my understanding is that there has been five couples that have served in the President/Secretary positions in the history of the IMPBA without issue. Apparently one of those couples was extraordinary and pulled the organization out of a sizable mess.
I am of the opinion that if we have someone qualified(as we do now)that is willing to take on the responsibility of the secretary position, we should let he or she do the job regardless of who they reside with provided the rules are followed regarding the checking account.
I am also of the opinion that if passed this proposal could at some point be detrimental to the organization.

Mark Bullard wrote:
The Secretary

Performance milestones were given to John to meet when he started as SECRETARY. Can performance requirements be given to the wife of the PRESIDENT and expect them to be achieved? If the wife of the PRESIDENT does not achieve them, how can it be dealt with? Could a spouse of the President or Board member truly be terminated if their performance was not acceptable? Would a President remove his or her own spouse or a board member's spouse as Secretary for poor performance as required by the present Constitution/Bylaw?

Constitution
SECTION 6

A. Impeachment of Officers

Any assistant or other person appointed by any Director, IMPBA, or officer serves at

the pleasure of the person appointing him/her, and may be relieved of his/her duties by

the person so appointing. Any elected officer of the association, and those assistants or

persons appointed by or approved by the Board of Directors only, may be impeached

and removed from his/her office or position for good cause by two-thirds majority vote

of the entire Board of Directors after written notice has been given to such officer or

person and a hearing conducted; at which hearing such officer or person and his/her

representative may present oral and/or written evidence and make a statement. The

President shall determine the time and place for this hearing. If a petition signed by

10% of the membership (for impeachment and removal of the President) or 10% of a

district’s membership (for impeachment and removal of said District Director or any

Assistant Director) a vote must be taken in regards to this officer or person subject to

the petition. The IMPBA board shall take action within 30 days.

I think the organization is covered and couldn't, in good conscious, support this petition/proposal at this time.

Thank you sirs,

Doug Smock 19887SCD
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Doug Smock.

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #686

Doug,
You raise very good questions. And are right on the sections of the rule book that covers this. But you may need to brush up on your other sections on amendents to the Constitution."Doc" and myself have and know a lot of history of the IMPBA. We have seen this done two other times with not very good results. The first time there was some money that came up missing. This is why we have the Treasurer handling the purse strings now. The second time we lost the Secretary and the President step down at the end of his term I think. I really do not remember why it all happened but they were both good people, good friends and still are today.
This is one of the problems we see as there is not a lot of board members that know the history of IMPBA.

Now on proposals on the Constitution the rules state:

This is at the end of ARTICLE VIII Section 1,C

The sections affected are IMPBA Racing Rules, Classes and Courses, Laps, General Racing
procedures, Racing Rules, Pit Time, Clock Time, Start, Buoy infractions, and IMPBA
Approved Courses. All other rule proposals may be subject to a trial period to be determined
by the Executive Board at their semiannual meeting. After discussing the pros and cons of the
rule proposals, the Executive Board may elect to submit amendments to and along with the
original proposal. After the Executive Board meetings, all rule proposals dealing with the
Constitution, Rules of Competition and Racing Rules, Classes, and Courses will be distributed
to IMPBA membership with a ballot that will require a head count for and against the
proposal. It shall be returned to the respective District Director within the time stipulated on
the ballot for a vote. The final decision on the proposed change and Executive Board’s vote
will be effective with the next quarterly report.

Mark
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Mark Bullard.

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #687

• Luc White
  • Expert Boarder
A bit off topic here I my self and all of D1 members would like to be removed from the master list you have obtained for privacy and security reasons. now we may be all affected by this since all of our e-mails are out in public.

plus I don't want to be part of this mutiny.

Regards
Luc White IMPBA D1D 20380 SCD
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Luc White.

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #688

• Chris Rupley
  • Thank you received: 9
Mark Bullard wrote:
The Secretary

It has come to my attention that the plan is to appoint the present PRESIDENT'S wife as SECRETARY replacing John Equi. This is bad for IMPBA and not in the best interest of IMPBA or its members.

The SECRETARY must be independent of any member of the board as John Equi was in order to have check and balances in the management of the organization. Also it will be difficult for any subsequent PRESIDENT to deal and function with a SECRETARY of the immediate proceeding President. Even though arrangements are made for signing checks that does not protect the organization as to what and how much money should be spent. John ran the IMPBA office as frugally as possible. This is at risk with the present plans for secretary.

Do we need NEPITISM in IMPBA? Can't we do better in our governance and management?

The bottom line it is just BAB. BAD for IMPBA and BAD way to do business!

Therefore we are proposing revision to our constitution and bylaws to prevent any spouse or family member of any voting or non-voting member of the board being employed as SECRETARY of IMPBA.

PRESENT CONSTITUTION: Article V OFFICERS & EXECUTIVE BOARD SECTION 5: An Executive Secretary shall be appointed or dismissed by the President with approval of the Executive Board.

CHANGE TO read: Article V, A Officers and Executive Board Section 5 An Executive Secretary who is not a spouse or family member of a voting or non voting member of the Board shall be appointed or dismissed by the President with approval of the Executive Board.

This is a Petition to indicate whether you support the proposal or not and send back/e-mail your response, name and IMPBA #

Mr. Bullard. First of all, Luc White is the district 1 director. I am the IMPBA President. As we all know John Equi is stepping down as IMPBA Secretary. My wife Lynne will be taking over that position. Her credentials were read to the board at the meeting and was overwhelmingly approved for the job. The Secretary has no vote and does not voice their views at board meetings. Quarterly reports are sent to the treasurer so he can monitor the monies coming in and going out. Running the IMPBA office has no bearing on what the board does. The IMPBA has had many Husband and Wife, President, Secretary teams in the past and the organization is still here. As you stated, you and Mr. Turner have served many years in the organization so you already know that. I am not sure why you have e-mailed this petition to 829 IMPBA members. It makes me wonder if there is an ulterior motive. Or maybe just paranoia from a few speculators. The timing on this so called petition could not have come at a worse time. Thanks for welcoming Lynne to the new position as IMPBA Secretary.

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #689

• Bob Nauss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have met the new secretary and feel she will be excellent at the job.

With that please remove my name and email address for any further communications. I personally feel that the email that was sent was completely out of line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luc White, Randy Rapedius

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #690

Quote Doug Smock

Mark,Doc,
While I understand and appreciate your concern it is also my understanding is that there has been five couples that have served in the President/Secretary positions in the history of the IMPBA without issue. Apparently one of those couples was extraordinary and pulled the organization out of a sizable mess.
I am of the opinion that if we have someone qualified(as we do now)that is willing to take on the responsibility of the secretary position, we should let he or she do the job regardless of who they reside with provided the rules are followed regarding the checking account.
I am also of the opinion that if passed this proposal could at some point be detrimental to the organization.

Doug,
Some of the problems we have seen that there has not been a physical board meeting in many years. The last one I remember was 2006. Also there have not been any minutes of board meetings posted to where a members can review them in a long time. So therefore it is hard for the membership to get in front of the board. By the time the members find out about a bad set of new rules the board has passed them onto a trial run for a year. And with the poor voter turnout we have these bad rules being make into permanent rules by less than 5 to 10% of the membership.
This kind of business must stop or we will wind up with a rule book that has way to many overlaps and repeated rules. There is some serious work that needs to be done here. Because of the way the data file system was used we have rules the are broke apart, parts missing and page numbers in the middle of pages.

So we have started a new way of reaching the board and members with good commutations. By polling the members with a petition and their opinions of a new rule proposal and future proposals. This method I believe will allow the members to be in better touch with the board. And the board should be able to get a better idea of how the members feel before they receive the proposal.

There will be a few changes to the orginal draft proposal. But these changes are coming about from members that have brought good opinions to us in comments.

I have heard a few comments from differant sources that some do not like what we have done. And some of the things I have heard is crazy. But understand the the members control IMPBA and not the board. It is the boards job by selection of the members to help them control IMPBA. And this is what I feel that we have been missing for many years.

The IMPBA Secretary 4 months 1 week ago #691

• Luc White
  • Expert Boarder
the Minutes from the last meeting are on the Dec..2013 roostertail
and also here www.impba.net/index.php/impba-minutes
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

MGBBanner1