December 04 2005:International Model Power Boat Association 2005 Jackson, Tn Regatta Board Meeting Friday, July 29, 2005 8:00 p.m. Central Time MINUTES Present: President, Bill Zuber Executive Secretary, John Equi District 1, Assistant Randall Thomas District 3, Glover Jeffcoat District 4, Mike Zaborowski representing Fred Hartley District 5, Mark Bullard District 6, Brian Nelsen (also IMPBA Vice President) District 7, Ed Mest District 13, James Clegg representing Bobby Halliday District 14, Bryan Schymik (also IMPBA Treasurer) National Outboard Director, Michael Zaborowski National Fast Electric Director, Randall Thomas Technical Review, John Equi National Safety Director Brian Nelsen Past President, Dick Jones National Records Director, Glenn Quarles Bill Zuber determined a quorum was present and called the meeting to order at 8:19 p.m. central time. Attempts were made several times to utilize a speakerphone and cell phone to establish reliable communications with District 2 Director Tony Jacuzzi in Canada. The large size of the meeting room/hall (25’ wide x 40’ long x 20’ high) created poor acoustics for the speakerphone microphone. Tony was unable to hear the comments of those in the hall. Bill Zuber called Tony on a cell phone and received his District report. Since the equipment was not working as hoped, the call to Tony was terminated. Minutes of the previous phone conference call on Thursday, January 20, 2005 were approved. Nominations for the following positions were received and presented. District 1 – Randall Thomas District 4 – Garrett Randall District 6 – Brian Nelsen District 13 – Bobby Halliday Fast Electric – Randall Thomas Gas Director – Bob Stuber, Kevin Sheren President Report: IMPBA is doing pretty good right now, but struggling financially. We still keep getting old outstanding bills that pop up from 2004, and previous years that we have to pay. These bills are paid with 2005 monies that has knocked down our working capital. The membership is roughly 1000 members, and even the races are up a bit, as you can see from the financial report and other information in your Director packs. 1 Treasurer Report: Brian Schymik explained financial reports that he and Tony Jacuzzi (District 2 Director) prepared. The reports included monetary income predictions till the end of the fiscal year. IMPBA money is very tight even though the Roostertail printing and mailing is gone. We received a $2990.00 bill that was not paid in 2004 that had to come out of 2005 monies. We will have additional income from the 50/50 raffle and merchandise sales at this regatta. Any income will place us closer to the budget but we may be a bit in the red by about $1000.00. Expenses are way down compared to last year. Secretary pay is lower; Roostertail printing is gone so next year should end up good. COMMENTS; D3 Glover - Glover asked what taxes we are paying? Brian - We are currently paying secretary Federal income tax, Federal FICA, SS, Unemployment tax and Alabama state tax. John’s taxes are less since we pay him less money. FE Randall - Randall asked about the two entries for Internats trophies. Brian - We provide seed money to the regatta and Gas Nats, which they repay a portion, and we paid for the US-1 plaques and patches for $1040.00, which was budgeted. PP Dick - Dick commented that the budget is based on last year’s numbers and had questions about the budget accuracy. Brian explained a few things and Dick agreed that the three months, Aug, Sept., & Oct. are lean income months and that the income could go lower than predicted. Brian - We did the best we could based on the figures we have, and explained a few more line items. PP Dick - I have questions about the telephone bill. Brian - The previous costs were outrageous, we went to Cingular and the costs dropped immensely. PP Dick - What hours are the phones manned? ES John - From 8:00 a.m. until 7:00-8:00 p.m. daily and even weekends. The current bill is running around $125.00 a month. Brian - Brian explained about a one-time offer for a lifetime membership in IMPBA for $400.00 that Tony Jacuzzi offered to the Board to raise immediate cash. PP Dick - Dick mentioned that maybe we need to do something else to insure we have money, raise the dues $5.00. We can use 1000 people paying $5.00 more as a down the road remedy. The last few years have had reduced income. O/BD Mike - IMPBA is starting to move in a positive direction, new attitudes, Brian has the budget under control. DD14 Brian - With 1000 members we can survive. RD Glen - We are moving in the right direction. ES John - John gave a summary of bank deposits, which totaled $44,750.00 through July 16. Bill Zuber requested that the website advertising agenda item be tabled. District Reports: D1: Randall Thomas told us that District 1 is extremely active. Their season is half started and 8 races are planned. One club, the Northern Lights have offered Fast Electric, which has been well received. Things are going well with more memberships coming in for Fast Electric racers. John has received about 7 new membership applications at the IMPBA office. 2 D2: Tony reported that IMPBA District 2 racing season is going strong. He is working to achieve a better balance for event scheduling next year, if possible. District 2 membership numbers are up to approx 206 members, up from 177 in the year 2000. Two new clubs have joined District 2, the Buoy Blasters Club out of Shelby Township in Michigan, and The Southern Ontario Model Boat Club out of Tilbury in Ontario. Kevin Sheren has assumed the District 2 Gas Directors position after Bob Stuber resigned due to health problems. The gas mono, sport hydro, nitro mono, sport 40, and 1/8 scale high point series are all in full swing and are being well attended. D3: Glover reports that a new Fast Electric Club in his district has sent in their club application. Randall has helped quite a bit with this new Fast Electric club. We are slowly gaining a few members. We have six clubs in Florida and I have contacted the old clubs but they are happy right now with NAMBA. D4: Mike was given no information by Fred Hartley, but told us that D4 is highly active this summer racing season. There were still a number of races on the schedule, including the D4 Championships in Milan, Iowa, Dick Jones state. The LaCross Club did submit for a club sanction this year, and the high points series of races are going well. Mike added that there were no new clubs in D4 at this time D5: Mark reports that D5 is growing rather slowly, and that the Gas Nats will be held in Slidell in September. He also revealed that this year makes the 10th year the International Regatta has been in D5 in the past 20 years. D6: Brian is working with a new club that has already sent its club information to the IMPBA office. He is also having problems with ponds in 6 different locations; he is checking their safety precautions to avoid accidents. There are 7 new members in his district. D7: Ed reports that he does not have a lot to report. He does have 4 new clubs and the district racing is good, but the turnout is light. Ed does not like the NAMBA racing format. Unless you have a lot of boats to run at a NAMBA event, you will be through racing in one day. D13: James explained that his district has 11 races scheduled and 6 have already been run. There are 4 clubs that are real active, Ogeechee, Atlanta, SOWEGA, and Charleston. These 11 races scheduled are for high points with the Charleston Model Boaters conducting a Tunnel Championships, and Valdosta hosting 2 time trials. His district is doing really well. Florida racers regularly race in the district. There so many races that they need to pick and choose the events they wish to attend. Races are averaging about 70 boats per event. He has heard talk about combining the High Points races with the Grand Prix races to get more participation. The time trials in Valdosta will run for 10 days and the other timed event is a first ever fast electric only event. D14: Brian reports that they had a time trials in association with the recent Evansville race, which was a lot of fun. They set up and ran only the Oval time trials and racers found this interesting. The Indianapolis Club almost lost their pond due to a non-IMPBA drowning, when the property owners halted all pond activity after this tragedy. After everything was settled legal wise to the owner’s satisfaction, they will be able to resume club activity this Fall on the pond per information received from Bruce Jacobs. It was noted that the district series is running with a few less racers than last year. 3 FE: Randall gave the board a good report, stating that Fast Electric racing has been very popular this year in District 7 (Ed Mest) and Glovers Florida District 3. The Florida club reported that they wish to be IMPBA only. Randall is working on rules for a new popular class. FE has been growing in the last 5 years. RD: Glenn has been all fired up about records activity! The events are typical from year to year, with the same clubs conducting timed events. All of the timed events are specific to location, and will not appear all over the place. He is seeing more interest, more attendance and lots of activity with fast electric. There are two events in Flint, MI, three in Huntsville and Valdosta has Speed Week. No paperwork has been submitted from Virginia concerning time trials. O/B D: Mike is excited about the Charleston Model Boaters hosting an all Tunnel Boat Championship this year. He observed that ¼ of all the boats entered in this years Regatta were outboard powered and reasserted his excitement about the growth of the outboard classes. A few of the districts are stumbling with outboards. Parts are available now, this was a big issue a few years ago, there’s no problem with parts! Outboard racing is very much alive and strong. Getting Tommy Lee into the Hall of Fame was a big deal for outboard racers, and he concluded there is nothing bad in the outboard division. TECH: John commented that two technical proposals would be presented at this meeting, Sport 20 Hydro and Mark Bullards Twin Hydro. The IMPBA Timing consoles re-design is low priority due to the money situation. He will re-name Production ABS to Production RTR to allow fiberglass hulls in this class. He spoke with Mark Poole the builder of the Mod VP hulls and realizes that Mark would need to be the main promoter to keep activity in this class going. He admits that Tech Review is lagging since he took over the Secretarial job. Switching Accountants: Treasurer Brian Schymik informed the board that it was difficult to get in touch with the accountant that Noel was using by phone and email means. He needed answers about taxes and other issues; so, since the response was poor he is requesting we switch to a local accountant in Indiana. Brian itemized the fees that the new man would charge and summarized with the fact that we would spend about $500.00 less per year compared to the previous accountant. Brian directed questions to the Louisiana CPA concerning the $5000.00 IMPBA money that the Feds have but did not receive a good answer. The Indiana CPA has filed a power of attorney to acquire the information and pursue an investigation into the monies. COMMENTS President - Any objection to switching accountants? FE Randall - Randall recommends that we accept Brian’s new accountant. DD13 James - James seconds the motion. President - All in favor by a voice vote? Motion carries PP Dick - I had a conversation with John concerning bookkeeping software; John is planning to use a simpler program than Quick Books Pro. 4 Accident Discussion: Brian Nelsen told the board about the circumstances concerning the recent London Ontario accident. Pictures of the pond site and boat launch area were received following the incident. Brian was concerned where the injured (Steven Enneper) was standing when he was hit. He was in ankle deep water preparing to launch a boat when a boat running on the course made a hard, abrupt left turn when it lost radio and hit Steven. We need to seriously review IMPBA netting requirements and he thinks pictures of the club pit/net area need to be submitted when the club is registered. We also need to examine the type of netting used; the orange plastic net will not work from what he saw at a race in Evansville. Mike Zaborowski installed good netting at the regatta for us to examine. COMMENTS: DD5 Mark - Mark does not like racers walking into the water to launch boats. He saw pictures of a pond that had nets but also a sloping 75-ft. launch beach that was bad. He suggested a vertical wall, a blocking board that is 10 to 15 inches high to block the pond. Racers would step into the water and move up to the board then launch their boat over the board. This would be a low cost solution. All D5 sites have docks in the water. He mentioned that he had slipped one time on the Evansville launch ramp. O/BD Mike - Mike asked if Steve had been on a dock, would the accident have been prevented? DD6 Brian - Yes, the broken leg would not have happened; maybe some cuts from flying pieces. O/BD Mike - Mike thought the boat was on plane, not flying through the air. DD6 Brian - Correct, injuries were at the water line. O/BD Mike - So Mark’s safe harbor could be a possible solution to prevent an accident. DD5 Mark - Mark the harbor could be a small three-sided box. President - It would be difficult to dictate something nationally for all race sites. It would be up to the District Directors to review their club race sites. They could use pictures, emails and phone calls. DD6 Brian Nelsen - Brian mentioned that recent rains could raise the water level and the dock may be closer to the water line. DD14 Brian - We can’t really come up with a single suggestion that works everywhere. The Directors will need to examine each situation. RD Glenn - Glenn mentioned he would like any new net/board suggestions for multi-boat heat racing only. During time trials we have only one boat on the pond at a time, there is no worry about getting hit by another boat on the pond. DD6 Brian - Brian would expect that nets only apply to race day, when lots of people and boats are present. He is also looking at pit operations; he has seen some very bad situations. RD Glenn - During the regatta trophy trials when I was on the CD stand I saw several people starting boats that had their boat prop just inches away from another racer. IMPBA may want to consider prop guards like NAMBA uses. O/BD Mike - I noticed 15 start tables in the pit area, which caused a lot of congestion. DD5 Mark - I saw a split starting method used during the Evansville 2002 regatta on odd-even concrete tables. He told us about an accident in Huntsville during the Kids class. A fellow racer blocked an incoming boat from hitting a child. The racer sustained a minor injury. He suggested that everyone vacate the pit area until all boats are shut down during the Kids class, since the kids may have trouble bringing their boats in. 5 President - I had John Equi inquire about raising the current medical payment coverage. We can raise it to $10,000.00 for a $125.00 cost increase per year. We should not accept self-inflicted injuries; maybe raise the deductible to $500.00 or $1000.00. John will check into secondary coverage on our insurance policy at a high value. PP Dick - We have had three claims concerning pit accidents and a simple solution is double netting, but it is not being done. Our priority should be to guard the pits or accidents will continue to happen. DD6 Brian Nelsen - Brian will see if he can come up with a possible proposal. DD5 Mark - Mark and Dick discussed various other methods of protection. PROPOSALS: President - The first proposal is from Dom Mauro, which is a constitutional change. The larger districts would like more representation; this is a major reason that Florida left IMPBA. Constitutional Change COMMENTS: DD3 Glover - Glover said if representation is a problem, I don’t see members returning their votes. He was not aware of a problem in his district until 1999. Unknown - Someone in the room commented that only 22 people voted out of 900 possible according to the previous minutes. We are not even using the representation that we now have. What is the purpose of having more votes if the members do not vote? DD5 Mark - The way the current rule is written, I understand it means for every 100 members, we get 1 vote. If 200 members, then 2 votes. Unknown - Someone asked on the last ballot that was sent out, how many ballots were returned out of District 2? Zero, Tony already has 2 votes. President - Bill mentioned that spouses can vote, but on past ballots we did not have an area for spousal votes. PP Dick - Here’s a history lesson. This is really about politics. This issue was actually brought up in 1996 and discussed in 1997. A particular district wanted more votes so it could block votes on things the district director did not want. It was Florida that wanted a vote for every 50 members. They wanted a substantial vote block. There is only one district that has two votes, Tony’s. This is not about representation, it is about politics. President - No, there are other districts that would fall under this if it were passed. DD7 Ed - I don’t see any way that we should drop down to let every 30 members get the Director another vote. If D2 winds up with x amount of votes, and D3 gets x amount, then those two districts control the whole thing. We then have 2 districts with all the power. DD14 Brian - Brian gave a quick run down of the voting power for all districts if this proposal was enacted. Districts 2, 4 and 5 could control everything. This locks everyone else out. PP Dick - Dick pointed out that three districts could control everything we do, and they think that’s not political? This is political, not representation. DD5 Mark – We’re not politicians, if D2 has an agenda, then other districts could cancel D2. If a lot of smaller districts voted to cancel D2. we would all like a few more votes. FE Randall – I have questions about the proposal, are we boaters or politicians? Also, D2 is missing from this meeting, we can’t resolve a motion if we have questions. PP Dick – I make a motion to table this proposal. FE Randall – I second it. President – There’s no need to vote. 6 DD5 Mark - If there’s an agenda to this D2 move, I don’t know what it is. Unknown – Who brought this proposal up? DD5 Mark – His number is 18608, he’s new, a gas boater. PP Dick – This has been tabled; it will not come up till the next meeting, or until someone brings it up. President – Lets move on to the next item. Write in vote change proposal President – This item was brought up by Randall some time ago, any questions about it? COMMENTS: PP Dick – This is a must function, like the constitution of the United States. President – We are not the constitution or the United States. PP Dick – This is guaranteed by the constitution, period. President – You are also to know whom you’re running against. PP Dick – No, write in votes are allowed in every election, local, federal, others, per the constitution. President – Members in a district do not know who is running. PP Dick – Lets discuss this, somebody got beat in an election, not the first time, because they did not receive any votes. Discussion continued for some time by PP Dick and President how write in works. Unknown – Why have nominations at all? Just use a write in. More comments about what was spelled out in the rule book. Many directors added comments on their views. PP Dick – Lets table this. FE Randall – Seconded. RD Glenn – As IMPBA we can set any rules we want as a private organization. President – This is tabled by Dick, seconded by Randall. New Racing Class: Multi Engine Hydro President – Proposal for new racing class. DD5 Mark – Multi engine hydro, has been around for years, popular, and run at several Regattas. A premier event, like top fuel cars. FE Randall – Make this a US-1 class? DD5 Mark – yes, that is part of the proposal. President – Yes, this is 2 separate proposals. Much discussion ensued with comments by PP Dick, DD5 Mark, several others about the merits of adding this new class as a US-1 contender. Summary: This is an F boat already, why make a special class for twins? RD Glenn – What is the drawback of allowing a twin class? PP Dick – You get 2 chances with an F boat for US-1 title, F class and twin. DD3 Glover, DD5 Mark talk about possible US-1 trophy wins with hulls. FE Randall – If this is a recognized class, would it be eligible for records? RD Glenn – Yes, if it was separated from F class. It would only be accepted for the class it was entered for. 7 President, RD Glenn, DD5 Mark, PP Dick, continued discussion of the pros and cons, joined in by others concerning chances of winning US-1 in 2 classes, existing rules, and what if’s. RD Glenn – Can someone run a .67 and a .90 engine as a twin? Discussion continued along the lines of engine size, driven shafts and number of props. It was evident that there were problems with the proposal. DD5 Mark – I think we will table this for now. President – Tabled both. Sport 20 proposal President – Tech will explain Sport 20. TR John – These proposed Sport 20 rules were derived from the Sport 40 with input from Phil Thomas. Fe Randall – District 1 likes the proposal with change of the strut to anywhere on the hull, wants a motion for change, no portion of drive dog more than 3” and strut change. District 1 makes formal motion to change #7 on the original document as an option. DD5 Mark, O/BD Mike discuss the strut location compared to actual real boats. TR John – Proposal can have suggested changes as an option when presented as a ballot. DD5 Mark – I accept Randall’s addition and seconded. President – Call for vote. D1 – Yes D3 – Yes D5 – Yes Results: 7 Yes D6 – Yes 1 No D7 – No 2 Abstain D13 – Yes D14 – Yes Approved to go out as a ballot with changes FE – Abstain PP – Yes President – Yes Revamping Districts 4, 6, 7, to a new District President – Item 6, revamping districts 4, 6, and 7 to a new district is tabled. Clarification of Districts 1 and 2 boundaries in Canada President – Item 7, clarification of district 1 and 2 boundaries in Canada. This has to do with problems of with membership list and the database. FE Randall – We will use the Canadian Postal Code system to define where the D1 – D2 split occurs in Ontario Myself and Tony know and agree on where the line is, but it is unclear to the IMPBA office. DD5 Mark – This line divides Ontario? FE Randall – Yes, I’ll explain in detail to the board. (Detailed explanation was given) DD3 Glover – Are members in Canada OK with this proposal? FE Randall – They asked about it, It will be easier for the Secretary and others. Unknown – Accepted by voice vote. 8 2006 Regatta Bid President – 2006 Regatta bid. DD14 Brian – I am not offering a bid, but it was discussed at this event (Regatta) with ¾ of my club that is here. The club will meet in a few weeks and discuss it. We will submit a formal document. We will need at least 5 full time people for the event. O/B D Mike – I am discussing with D4 about a Regatta, maybe Chicago Speedway, but we will need approval from the speedway owner. DD14 Brian – I would want the last week of June, which differs from what is stipulated in the rule book. This timeframe would co-inside with the “Thunder in the Valley” unlimited boat races in town. President – What about hotel availability? DD14 Brian – We would be there first, you would have to register early to get a room. DD7 Ed – No regatta (in Texas) this year, maybe in 2007. DD 13 James – The Charleston Model boaters has talked about it, but have an obstructing peninsula in the pond that would need to be moved. We have lots of shade, a nice site. President – We have a digital copy of the Internats booklet that Tech Review produced that is available. The Huntsville newspaper has a nice article, contact myself or John Equi for a copy. Rd Glenn – I’ve discussed Valdosta as a site, but I would need lots of help. DD3 Glover - Since the Roostertail is now online; we need a paper copy to be available, maybe $20.00 a year on the 2006 application, along with a check box for a membership list. President – Any more new business? DD5 Mark – I have come up with a “Peterson Rule”. If a person becomes ill or injured, he can appoint a replacement driver who is at the event to drive his boat with the CD’s approval. FE Randall – This is like the old “Proxy” rule. I would change this to make the new driver continue for the rest of the event. Discussion ensued by RD Glenn, O/B D Mike, DD14 Brian, DD5 Mark, PP Dick, about liability of who gets the trophy. DD5 Mark – I found out that the appointed driver was not registered at this race. FE Randall – This occurred at the last heat of 1/8 Scale and was objected to by Brian Schymik. DD14 Brian – I don’t like this proposal, play by the existing rules. President – Any other new business? PP Dick – I think IMPBA needs to do something about legislation, meaning rules changes at the race site. When we allow this we will have problems. We must go by the book, that’s it. This happened twice at this Regatta. DD5 Mark – there was no issue on Josh Fulton’s radio, no vote. PP Dick – Ernie said, “if we vote”, so he was ready to vote. He has to be fair to everyone. If it’s not in the book, then that’s the end of it. RD Glenn – If it’s a gray area, then the CD has to figure out how to do it. Discussion by O/B D Mike, DD5 Mark, PP Dick ensued with comments by others. President – We have a proposal on this, but it died. PP Dick – I continue to get papers from the insurance company. ES John – I’ve talked with them several times about the new mailing address, I even get items from Louisiana. It will take time to get their computers changed. DD14 Brian – Motion to adjourn. President – Do I have a second to adjourn? Someone said, “Yes”, all in favor, ‘Aye”. President – Adjourned. Time was after midnight around 12:20. 9
Click icon to subscribe to our news feed.