Text Size
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #160

Been almost a week, dont look like there's gonna be anymore input here.
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Aaron Johnson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #161

I agree I think its time to act on what has been hammered out so far. Probably should be ran on IW as well.

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #162

I am with that also...

A few things I have been thinking about still...

*I think the stock strut and rudder should be used

*Backplates should be allowed...since they are readily available, inexpensive and easy to install.

*Not sure about the cowling modifications. Modified or a "stealth" type cowl could yield an unfair reduction in drag or weight distribution. Also, not everyone can make such a modification.

*Although I'd like to see 6 lap heats, we need to be sure that a boat equipped with the stock tank can finish a heat (plus mill time).

*I like the course cut that we have been using, but rules need to be followed and enforced.

*If some don't like the restrictions of the class...maybe they should be racing in the Sport 20 class...

Tim
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Timothy Strange.

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #163

I see nothing wrong with the rudder from someone like Aircapitol hobbies, they dont yield that much more power. All the Madison people have been running the short, fatter rudders and they're not unbeatable. Tim, we beat them at the Fall race while they ran those rudders....no advantage

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cowl mods, they dont change it that much either. Had it not been for the rough water at the fall race, you woulda ran right with me and I had my moded cowl on, and I couldnt catch Jeff with it on...again..no advantage

As far as tanks, I think the current stock tank needs replaced with a slightly larger one anyway.....hint hint Grim.... :) :)

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #164

I am a little mixed on the rudder issue. I am confident that a smaller/shorter rudder on smoother water DOES make a difference. With the water conditions at the Fall race however, no I don't think it made much difference...keeping the boat right-side up was the challenge!

Yeah, we did beat them ALL at the Fall race!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I don't think your mod made any advantage, because you still have a big air brake on the top of it. I am thinking that if a sleeker cowl without the big vent on the top would create less drag, and thus an advantage. You did a nice job grafting that Proboat cowl to the Vegas BTW.

In one of the Fall heats, (due to the weather conditions) I had my motor so rich that there was very little fuel left at the end. Of course I don't know how much actually sprayed out of the flip cap and all over the inside of the boat! That was a five lap heat with maybe two laps of milling.

Anyway, I am for whatever the consensus is on these points...still firm on retaining the stock strut. But remember, we need to keep things fair for the new racer.

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #165

Lets try this if you want to retain a 1/8 stub to only allow 1/8 props say yes or no. To use only a factory strut and mine is worn out but works fine yes or no. For factory style turn fin Grim Racer parts are fine yes or no . We pretty much agree on the rest but I do have one other question....can I turn the rear fins around so my boat resembles a Circus Circus or Squire Shop boat?? They will still be in place....

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #166

I don't think your mod made any advantage, because you still have a big air brake on the top of it. I am thinking that if a sleeker cowl without the big vent on the top would create less drag, and thus an advantage. You did a nice job grafting that Proboat cowl to the Vegas BTW.

1/8 stub-yes
factory strut-yes
Grim parts-yes
Turn your fins around- yes, they ARE still on the boat and in place

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #167

Retain 1/8 stub: NO (if NO means allowing 3/16 stubs)
Retain Factory Strut: YES (replacement $21.49)
Factory style turn fin Grim Racer parts: not sure if I understand...Grim Parts: YES

Mikey, if you want to look like a dork...go ahead. But you will have to paint your boat PINK!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Timothy Strange.

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #172

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: he said dork :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (sounds like a Bevis & Butthead comment)...would def be different with backwards wings.

Re: D-14 RTR 18 hydro rules 3 years 10 months ago #178

I would say mods to rudder,turn fin, radio boxes,and a little more fuel. These are what I see cause the most problems. Rest seems to hold up pretty good.

Randall Cartright
Moderators: Michael Schindler
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

MGBBanner1